Crest Pro-Health Complete mouth rinse, which has been on the market since 2005, has hundreds of complaints against it by consumers. Consumers report a loss of sense of taste for up to a week, as well as brown teeth discoloration after use.
Kate Steeper of Foster City, CA tried the rinse two weeks ago, before bedtime. According to Steeper, “I woke up and I noticed I couldn’t taste my breakfast.” She said her tongue felt strange as well. “It felt like when you eat pizza that’s too hot, like burning your tongue and then you can’t taste anything,” Steeper said. Her sense of taste didn’t return to normal until eight days after using the rinse. The Food & Drug Administration has received about 350 complaints about the mouth rinse. Reviewers on online retail sites such as Amazon have also posted criticisms about the product.
Crest’s FAQ page offers the following answers:
- Does Crest Pro-Health Rinse cause taste loss?
Crest Pro-Health Rinse does not cause permanent taste alteration.
- Oral care products containing active ingredient CPC may cause a temporary aftertaste, or temporary change in the taste of food, in a small percentage of people.
- CPC stays in the mouth for long periods of time, which allows the rinse to provide its 12-hour benefit.
- Aftertaste/change in the taste of food typically goes away shortly after product use is stopped.
- Why doesn’t the Crest Pro-Health Rinse label contain a stain warning?
- Brown tooth discoloration from use of mouthwashes that effectively fight plaque and gingivitis is not harmful. It is reversible – and largely preventable – through options like brushing with a power toothbrush and tartar-control/whitening toothpaste, flossing, and visiting the dentist regularly.
What should I do if I am dissatisfied with Crest Pro-Health Rinse?
- As a company, P&G stands behind all of our products. But, if consumers are unhappy with a product, we take these concerns very seriously and address each individually. We also have a team of nurses prepared to answer consumers’ health questions related to our products. Please call our toll-free information line at 1-800-285-9139 if you are dissatisfied with Crest Pro-Health Rinse.